Mardi Fuller is an Outdoors Woman, fully and unapologetically. She is also a multi-sport athlete, outdoor educator, and outdoor leader. We had the opportunity to sit down with Mardi to discuss the White Mountain region of New Hampshire, the opportunity cost of being in the outdoors as a racialized person, the ridiculousness of ‘firsts’, ski bum culture, racial literacy, water safety in Black communities, and the importance of claiming it.
This show is available everywhere you get podcasts April 28, 2023.
- Film: Mardi & the Whites — Paula Champagne
- Film Maker: Paula Champagne (@makerchamp) | Instagram
- Opinion: Let’s Stop Celebrating the White Male Ski Bum | SKI (skimag.com)
- Decentering Whiteness in Hiking and Fostering Inclusivity Outdoors – Green Mountain Club
- (PDF) Black Skiing, Everyday Racism, and the Racial Spatiality of Whiteness | Anthony Kwame Harrison – Academia.edu
- 45 years ago, Black protesters tried to desegregate Carson Beach. The peaceful demonstration quickly turned violent – The Boston Globe
- 10 Beginner Swimming Pointers From Leader Mardi Fuller By Mardi Fuller • Outdoor Afro
- A Place of Freedom and Belonging in the Great Outdoors (nrdc.org)
- 6 Conversations about Colorism in the Outdoors — Melanin Base Camp